Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweet Potato and Green Bean "Risotto"


Sweet Potato and Green Bean with Barley


Okay, I just picked up my weekly supply of vegetables from our local CSA and I got green beans, broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, small leeks or large green onions, tomatoes galore and a large bag of loose lettuce leaves.  The green beans caught my eye and since I had a large sweet potato also, a recipe started forming.

I made this dish vegan for Madison since she is giving up dairy for Lent, however, the picture of the final dish has parmesan added for me.  It definitely made it more “risotto like” with that addition.  For Madison’s dish I added a little olive oil at the end to make it a little richer.

My recipe uses barley as my grain substitute for Arborio rice.  I actually like the toothiness of the barley better than the risotto, especially after the dish has been reheated, etc.  Barley wins out when you compare the health benefits of both too.  One cup of dried barley has 31.8 grams of fiber and 23 grams of protein, while a cup of dried Arborio rice has 4 grams fiber and 12 grams protein. 

2 medium size white onions, halved and sliced
1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb fresh green beans stems removed and  cut into 2 inch pieces
2 medium size tomatoes cut into bite size pieces
3 cups water
1 cup barley
3 cloves garlic minced
Olive oil
¼ to ½ tsp chipotle pepper powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and one tablespoon olive oil in a medium size skillet for 10-15 minutes.  Once brown, set aside.

In a medium to large stockpot add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the garlic and tomatoes.  Saute until fragrant.  About 2-3 minutes.  Add the cooked onions, sweet potato, green beans, water, barley and chipotle pepper.  Simmer covered for about 40-50 minutes stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes break down and the bulgur is al dente.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Shave parmesan cheese over the top before serving.

No comments: