Wednesday, March 30, 2011

ZUCCHINI PIZZA WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS

Jim Lahey put out a book on making no knead bread in 2009 and he has taken the world by storm.  I received this book called My Bread as a Christmas present last year and it has been the book I go to at least once a week.  I love his Walnut Bread and make it for breakfast all the time.  Pizza night has become a weekly occurrence too.  My  family devours the Cauliflower Pizza and The Tomato Pizza .  But this week we tried something new -  The Zucchini Pizza.    I had a couple big zucchinis from the farm and wanted to give it a try.  It was delicious with and without cheese and I thought I would share it with you.  I changed the recipe somewhat by using a little less zucchini than Jim called for and adding caramelized onions. 





Basic Pizza Dough
Jim Lahey/My Bread
3 3/4 cups( 500 grams) bread flour
2 1/2  teaspoons (10 grams) instant or other active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon (5 grams) table salt or fine sea salt
3/4 teaspoon plus a pinch (5 grams) sugar
1 1/3 cups(300 grams) room temperature ( about 72*F) water
extra virgin olive oil for the pans

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar
Add the water and using a wooden spoon or your hand,  mix until blended.   The dough is a bit stiffer than most of the other dough in Jim Lahey’s book,  not as wet and sticky.   I usually need to work the dough in the bowl to get the dough incorporated into a ball.
Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature until the dough has doubled in volume, about two hours.

2. Oil two 13 by 18 inch rimmed baking sheets. Use a bowl scraper or rubber spatula to scrape  dough onto an oiled pan in one piece. Cut the dough into two equal parts.   Make sure your hands and the dough are coated with oil.  Gently press  and stretch the dough across the surface of the pan so the dough  is even to the edges.  Pinch any holes together. Repeat with the second piece.
The dough is ready to top as you like.
Get the oven ready and preheat at 450 degrees.  My Bread suggests  a 500 degree temperature, but I have found it is too hot for my oven.  So see what works for you.


Zucchini Topping
2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and grated
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 cups Gruhyere cheese, grated
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 onions sliced and caramelized
As the oven in preheating, grate the zucchini.  I used my food processor.
Mix the salt in with the grated zucchini and let stand for 15 minutes.  Drain the zucchini in a colander.  I also squeezed the extra moisture out with several towels.  In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini and cheese together.  (I used half the cheese to make half the pizza vegan)
Spread the zucchini mixture over the prepared dough all the way to the edges.  Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the pizza and finish off with the bread crumbs.
Bake for 10 minutes and rotate for the next 10 minutes.  My Bread has a lot longer time, but my oven must be way warmer than his.  I have to say I cannot imagine the pizza without the caramelized onions.  It gives the pizza a GREAT flavor.   And the pizza was amazing with or with out the cheese.

This is what it looked like before we put it in the oven.  And then what it looked like after.




   

No comments: