Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tomato Watermelon Salad

 


 I have to admit a secret.  I have been holding out on one of my favorite things to add to salads and it is so simple that I am embarrassed to admit it, but I love to sprout Mung Beans.  They must be the simplest bean to sprout and I don’t know why I don’t sprout them more often. 

When the weather gets really warm in Florida, I start thinking of salads that I can throw together without heating up the house while also adding some protein in the mix.  Mung Beans are the answer!!

I buy the beans in the bulk aisle of Whole Foods.  When I tried to find Mung Beans at the Whole Foods in West Hartford, CT (horror of horrors!!), they did not have any in the bulk section.  They have an expensive alternative - prepackaged and spouted and then dried.  Forget it!  They took all the fun out of it.

I hope you can find them where you live, because they are so easy and add a nice crunch while adding a bit of protein.

Soak about a ½ cup of dried Mung Beans overnight.  The next morning, rinse the beans off with cool water and keep in a container on the counter loosely covered.    Rinse them off about 4 times during the day.  Just keep the beans moist, but not swimming in water. 

By dinnertime you have sprouted Mung Beans. Refrigerate any you don’t end up eating in the salad or directly out of the bowl.  They are a very addictive and healthy snack. 


I added them to my tomatoes and watermelon that I got from my local farm.  Add a little basil, olive oil and salt and you are good to go.

No comments: