Monday, September 26, 2011

Raw Almond Butter



I was talking to my friend, Mary, the other day and I realized I was enthusiastic about something rather simple and basic as almond butter. I have tried store-bought almond butter and in my humble opinion the taste just doesn't compare.  Traditional almond butter is made with roasted almonds and I think that makes a BIG difference.

If you have been to Le Pain Quotidien in New York City, you must have tried their hazelnut spread.  It is unbelievable!!  It is also full of sugar and who knows what else.  I know you gotta splurge sometime, so when you are in New York City, slather on the hazelnut spread, but when at home, make it a little more wholesome.  My Raw Almond Butter reminds me of the Le Pain Quotidien hazelnut spread but without any sugar.  The raw almonds make it slightly sweet with a taste that reminds me of hazelnut!!  (Have I mentioned it is better for you too because it is raw!!!)

The recipe doesn't have any magic measurements.  I take about two cups raw almonds and I place them in a Cuisinart.  You will have to scrape down the sides many times to get the almonds to mix evenly.  Because the motor starts getting hot after about 10 minutes, I give the Cuisinart a rest and finish up a little later.

When the almonds start getting oily and thick and the mixture sticks together, add a tablespoon or so of Coconut Oil and a pinch of salt.  Mix some more and that is it.

You can refrigerate the Raw Almond Butter if you would like, but it is not mandatory.  We eat up our Raw Almond Butter so fast it doesn't matter.  Let me know what you think.  Get creative and add raisins or dates if you really want to live it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I am going to try making my own this weekend!