Monday, October 10, 2011

CREAMY YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH SOUP

My first box of vegetables arrived this week.  This is my third year of signing up for a weekly box of local vegetables at Green Cay and every week it seems like Christmas.  I have beautiful, fresh vegetables and endless possibilities.  Some of what was in our box included 6 summer squash, baby bok choy, fresh lettuce and a huge bag of basil.  I immediately set to work and blended fresh pesto with the basil, fresh spinach, pine nuts and walnuts (see previous post on pesto).  I divided the batch into 4 containers; froze three and used one container right away with a bowl of whole wheat pasta.  This time I added juice of a whole lemon and it just made the pasta zing.  Try it sometime.

Meanwhile, I really wanted to use some of the summer squash and I didn’t want to cook the first thing that came to mind – a stir fry with quinoa or pasta.  I also had some garbanzo beans and leeks which had me thinking about soup.  The lemon juice at the end really brought out the flavors.  Are you seeing a trend?  Yes, I am on a lemon kick.  We always have lemons or limes in the house.  Living in Florida, you would think we could just go pick them off the tree, but we don’t and can’t - something to do with a fruit fly invasion.  Oh well.  (Sometimes we have mangos falling from the neighbor’s trees and when they do, that really makes me happy.)

Ingredients:
1 onion chopped
2 leeks cleaned and white portion sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow squash chopped
1 can coconut milk
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 cups water
1 ½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or 1 15 oz. can drained and rinsed
½ cup parsley roughly chopped
1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin (see previous post on cumin)
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of ½ a lemon
Garnish with fresh made croutons*

Sauté the onion and leeks with the olive oil in a large stock pot.  Cook until translucent - about 5 minutes.  Add the squash and cook for about 5 minutes more.

Mix in the coconut milk, the water and the vegetable bouillon cube and simmer with the lid slightly ajar for 10-15 minutes.  Add the spices, herbs and beans and cook for about one minute.  Let the soup cool slightly.

Use an immersion blender to cream some of the squash and beans.  I like to leave it chunky so I don’t puree it very much.  Add the lemon and adjust seasonings.  Add the croutons just before serving.

*To make croutons: preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Cube some “day old bread” and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Toast in oven until crispy and brown (about 5-10 minutes).


4 comments:

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

Your blog looks great! Thanks for reading mine and emailing me...have fun on your new endeavor. And what delicious sounding recipes you have too :)

beth said...

Absolutely gorgeous photo and blog! Recipe sounds great, but my reality is when I see more than a half dozen ingredients, it will likely never happen in our house except at holidays. We function more on serendipity, but might try to wing it, making this with whatever is on hand!

Veggiemama said...

Absolutely! I'm winging it all the time! That is why I have to write it down, so I can remember how I threw it together.

Dreams of cakes said...

This is delicious! Thanks for sharing.